Teaching Philosophy Statement

My Teaching Philosophy Statement

(Fostering Inclusive Learning through collaboration and empowerment)




According to me, education is the key that unlocks the doors of opportunity in one’s life. Consequently, learning and teaching are two crucial components of education. What drives learning is curiosity and collaboration.

In the role as a teacher in my teaching practicum, I am guided by a teaching philosophy that places students at the center of the learning experience, fosters a collaborative and inclusive environment, and values the unique contribution of each individual. According to Gage (1963), "Teaching is a form of interpersonal influence aimed at changing the behavior potential of another person". My commitment to student- centered learning is rooted in creating an atmosphere where every student is recognized, valued, and encouraged to thrive. I firmly believe that education should be a student- centered and a collaborative journey.

In my classrooms, I cultivate and inclusive environment where diversity is not just acknowledged but celebrated. I actively seek to understand and appreciate the diversity among my students, recognizing the richness it brings to the classroom. Differentiated instructions are a cornerstone of my teaching approach, recognizing and accommodating the varied learning styles, abilities, and backgrounds of each student. Accordingly, by providing differentiated instructions, I ensure that students’ unique strengths and learning needs are addressed, creating a learning environment where everyone feels included and respected. This inclusivity is not only reflected in the curriculum but also in the way students interact and engage with each other.

I firmly believe in the equitable treatment of all students, as education welcomes individuals from diverse backgrounds. Education extends beyond content as it nurtures skills, character, and values while promoting intellectual, emotional, and social growth of the learners. Every individual in my classes is recognized as a unique learner, and their contributions are valued. I aim to empower students by creating an environment that encourages self- expression, curiosity, and independent thinking. Each student is given the agency to take responsibility for their own learning journey, fostering a sense of ownership and self- directed learning.

As a teacher, I see my role as a facilitator and a guide, nurturing critical thinking and curiosity, rather than being merely a dispenser of information and the sole authoritarian of the classroom. This perspective aligns with my commitment to various educational theories. I emphasize Constructivism, where students actively build their understanding through different activities and collaboration. I encourage peer interaction and discussions. Moreover, Vygotsky's ZPD (Zone of Proximal Development) is central to my teaching philosophy that comes under his socio-cultural theory, as it emphasizes the importance of scaffolding to help students reach their full potential. I create a positive learning environment by fostering trust, open communication, and a sense of belonging. I prioritize providing constructive feedback and emphasizing the learning process through the application of behaviorist approach that stimulates environment that encourages curiosity, motivation, and success in their learning journey. By acting as a facilitator, I create a space where students are encouraged to explore, question, and construct their own understanding of the subject matters.

Education, in my philosophy, is a social process. I actively incorporate collaborative learning, peer learning, and group activities to encourage interaction among students. These experiences not only deepen understanding, but also foster the development of essential social skills and teamwork, preparing students for real- world challenges where collaboration is the key.

In addition, a strong teacher- student relationship acts as a foundation to effective teaching and learning. I prioritize creating a supportive and respectful rapport with my students, where they feel comfortable in expressing their thoughts and seeking guidance.

Finally, I aim to cultivate a love for learning that extends beyond the classroom, preparing students for a future where they are confident, collaborative, and resilient contributors to society.  


Word Document of My Teaching Philosophy 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/17oS56MzdYATS5DZuwyUOUHymYoVvQc30/edit?usp=drive_link&ouid=107470833290140149890&rtpof=true&sd=true 


References

Sandra, J.S. (1997). Communicative competence: theory and classroom practice: 

           texts and contexts in second language learning. McGraw-Hill.


Comments